Even if you are not in the market to sell your home right now, it is always a great idea to start “preparing your home” to sell.
Buyers want to “feel good” when they enter a home. They are generally looking for a move-in ready home that does not require a lot of work. One of the best ways to make your home desirable to buyers AND to improve not only the salability but also the value is to keep it in great shape.
Do not limit updates and repairs to major items only. Here is a list of what I hear buyers are looking for on a daily basis;
- Curb Appeal – Keep up on the landscaping, outdoor fixtures and siding. Keep gutters cleaned out. Trees in gutters are a huge NO (Yes, I’ve seen them!) Most buyers drive by the property before scheduling a showing if it looks like work driving by, they may pass on the showing.
- Easy Access – Make sure the locks are easy to use and doors open and close easily.
- Cleanliness/ Smells – This is a no-brainer but stay on top of regular cleaning, and if you have pets, do what you can to keep the smells gone or to a minimum.
- Wall Color/ Coverings – Keep colors neutral, and from an insider point of view – Remove wall paper/borders if you plan on selling
- Updated Appliances – Buyers notice these right away. Great investment for added value and faster sale of your home!
- Flooring – Carpet doesn’t have to be brand new but cleanliness (or lack thereof) and worn spots are a huge turnoff to buyers.
- Mechanicals – If they are fairly new, have them serviced annually and keep a record to have on hand for buyers. If they are on the last leg, your best bet is to invest in a replacement. This has been a deal killer for many buyers.
- Roof – Most buyers wont get scared away if the roof has 5+ years left on it. Like mechanicals, if the roof is visibly in disrepair or leaking it is best to invest in a replacement/repair. Some buyers financing will not go through if the roof is leaking or has less than 5 years left.
Of course if you are selling your home with me, we will go over all of these details before pricing and marketing to make sure you get top dollar!